Whether it’s in the office, school or gym, we rely on our water coolers for endless supplies of sparkling clean hot and cold water. So what to do when your water cooler stops working?
At The Water People we are passionate about helping people get the most out of their water coolers, and we can help ensure yours is always operating at its best.
For some DIY water cooler troubleshooting, try our basic repair tips.
Water cooler troubleshooting
- Very often if your water cooler is not working, the problem can be traced to the power supply. So as a first step, check that it is properly plugged in at the wall and the mains power is turned on.
- If it is switched on but not dispensing water, the next step is to check your water supply. In the case of bottle-filled water coolers, ensure the bottle is not empty and there is an adequate amount of water in the reservoir.
- Water coolers with top-filled bottles sometimes develop air locks that restrict the flow of water to the taps, and this can often be fixed by simply removing and replacing the bottle.
- With bottom-filled water coolers, a common cause of flow issues is a poor connection of the hose between the probe head (on top of the bottle) and the water pump. Ensure that the hose is fully inserted into both.
- If yours is a mains-fed water cooler, ensure the mains tap is turned on. Check all piping and couplings to ensure the unit is properly connected to the mains water supply, and look for any signs of leakage behind or around the base of your water cooler.
NB: For your personal safety, it is recommended that you always turn off all switches and unplug your water cooler before opening the housing.
Call in the experts
If none of these steps help to get your water cooler going with the flow again, contact our experts for professional advice.
At The Water People, we understand that most businesses don't have the staff, resources or time to service their own water coolers, so we offer a fast on-site maintenance and repair service.
Our teams of fully equipped expert technicians operate across the Melbourne metro area, and we pride ourselves on finding the most cost-effective way to keep your water cooler running smoothly.
Maintaining your water cooler to prevent problems
The best way to avoid problems with any water cooler is to ensure it is regularly serviced. Modern water coolers are very reliable and seldom break down - provided they are properly maintained.
- Schedule regular replacement of your filter cartridges. As a general rule this should be carried out every six months, but heavy usage may demand that your filters get changed more frequently. A reputable, service-oriented company like The Water People will make this easy for you by keeping a record of when your cartridges are due to be changed, and then giving you the option of either replacing them yourself (we automatically mail them to you when they are due) or choosing a visit from our professional service team for a reasonable fee.
- Replace consumable parts. Some water coolers also contain other consumable parts such as UV lights which may also require regular replacement.
- Cleaning. The internal storage tanks of water coolers need regular cleaning at least once a year to avoid the unit dispensing loose particles in the drinking water that could have built up from residue over time
- Inspect and replace. And as with any water supply system, it is also important to regularly check all connections and piping to ensure there is no risk of leaking or rupture, and to replace any of these fittings as required.
All of these maintenance issues can be taken care of for you by The Water People's expert technicians. And with us there's no need to remember to book your service, as we handle the scheduling for you.
Contact The Water People
The Water People are Australia’s filtered drinking water experts. Pure and simple.
We stock a wide range of new-generation water coolers that eliminate the hassle associated with traditional bottle replacement systems and are suitable for any application including offices, cafes and restaurants, education or aged care facilities, gyms and sports clubs.
These can be purchased outright or rented from us on terms that can suit any budget and any business, and are backed by our own guarantee on top of manufacturers’ warranties of up to three years.